Friday, June 22, 2007






This is from my journal that I have been keeping. It is a day late but I wanted to post it the way I wrote it.
6:00 a.m
Today is summer solstice 15.4 hrs. of sunlight and will need every bit of it.
9:00 a.m.
Left the Modoc COE and headed north on 395 turned onto 299 w. This terrain reminds me of the steppes in Russia, up and down and up … but just rolling not to much up or down.


10:00
Have come about 15 miles should be hitting the town of Canby soon. It is a town of around 414 people and sets at an elev. Of 4300 ft. Saw this farm and had to take a picture of the containers you know the ones I asked if anyone could tell me what they were? Well, it turns out that I got a chance to talk to the farmer and he told me that they were silos holding fish food. Yes, this farm is a catfish farm. They grow catfish for the S.F. market place.
Arlington Elementary School
10:30
Rested in Canby, filled up water bottles and took some pictures of the town and school. Back on the road towards Tulelake.
11:00
Barn and outcroppings.

11:15
We just hit the 300-mile mark in “The Ride for Resources”. As the odometer roll to 300.1 we see the Cal-Trans truck and have to stop because of roadwork. Of course I tell Paul to get in and he will have to ride with me around the work. I certainly learned my lesson about roadwork and bikers, but Paul hasn’t. I know he wants to make sure that everyone knows he did cheat but I want everyone to know I will keep him safe so he can continue to be a great dad, friend, and CTAP director!


Mt. Shasta from outside Tulelake

12:00
Stopped so Paul could have lunch. Got out all the stuff and he just road right by, he is having a great day. Packed up and will keep going. I’m stopping every 5-miles so don’t get a chance to do much. He’s keeping me hopping. Looked at this wildflower, I think it’s called a Skunk Cabbage.

Lost part of my journal to a tech glich. Go figure!
Will pick up at
Went through great vistias so will just put some pictures in from the trek.

Newell School 8 miles south of Tulelake
Newell eggs
Newell tractor

4:00
Got some Tulelake horse radish and headed out to 161 (stateline road). It was fun watching Paul weaving in and out of the broken lines in the middle of the road. The north side of 161 is in Oregon and the south side is in California.

Tulelake High School

Man and his dog sitting on a corner in Tulelake on a hot summer afternoon.

Another man and his BOOTS
Leaving Tulelake and headed for Doris



5:10

Passing through the Tulelake Wildlife Refuge. Loved watching the wildlife so through I would give you a taste for what you would see if you come to this area.
Can anyone tell me what kind of birds these are?
Please leave your guess in the comments:
Bird 1
Bird 2
Bird 3

4 comments:

sdpaddlebum said...

Hi Gene--- & Paul, too, if you're still upright and can read!

Bird 1 is a hooded Merganser
Bird 2
Bird 3 is a white pelican.

The bird in the bike shorts and cowboy boots is a loony bird.

Mitch

sdpaddlebum said...

Sorry- spaced out on bird 2... it's hard to tell because of the gunkyitch foam, but it looks like a pied-billed grebe.

Mitch

Tami said...

Please tell me no one was around when you took the "spandex and boots" picture, Gene.

Anonymous said...

Paul, you've just set back "ride 'em cowboy" 100 years! If you only had a cowboy hat-shaped helmet! Nice boots. Will