Sunday, June 24, 2007

Paul's Day 4 Summary

We woke up early and headed out for Dorris to pick up where we ended on Thursday. I was concerned about Sunday traffic, possible wind, and the fact that I hadn't ridden since Thursday.
I finally got on the bike around 8:30 and headed south.
The road was flat around (4000 feet) the air was cool and Mt. Shasta was directly in front of me.
We tried a new tool- HandlebarCam- and it was interesting to work with it. I can use some of the footage. I rode through the town of Mcdoel and through acres of strawberry fields.
After about and hour or so we reached the base of Mt. Hebron. Time to climb.
Back up over 5000 feet to the summit. A couple of up and downs and then a flat spot through Grass Lake. The wind was present, but not pushing too hard. I also wasn't pressed for time because today was going to be relatively short- about 65 miles.
We took a break at Grass Lake. I was surprised to see seagulls- yes seagulls (Gene called them Rest Area Gulls). Riding through Grass Lake I could hear lots of birds in the reeds.)
Another short climb to Grass Lake Summit a brief down hill and then one last bump up Deer Mountain.
Mt. Shasta was close now. Rising to a height of over 14,182 feet it was magnificent with its glaciers and outcroppings.
Also- a nice downhill began for me. Dropping down to the War Memorial Sculpture Garden the road was rough- but it was downhill!
We took about an hour at the Sculpture Garden just looking at the art and reflecting on what it stood for. I highly recommend a visit if you are in area.
Continuing downhill I soon turned north again to head towards the town of Grenada. The road was still downhill and I experimented with HelemtCam- my phone cam held at head level.
Gene convinced me to stop at the lava tube just next to the rode. Then back on the bike.
We were making good time so Gene wanted to go "offroad" to Pluto's Cave- another experience I highly recommend. But wear tennis shoes or hiking boots- cycling shoes weren't cutting it- and neither were bear feet.
The short break also allowed time for the wind to pick up (Thanks Gene). However, I actually felt pretty good and was able to make Big Springs and Grenada without stressing to much.
Gene relayed a funny story in his journal so I won't elaborate.
The final seven miles were sightly uphill and into the wind, but not too bad.
Rode into Yreka at about 3:45. Day four another success- 65 miles and we passed the halfway point. Bonus miles on Day 3 paid a dividend today. Tomorrow we are back over 100 miles, and back over the mountains.
Day 1: 151 miles (Oroville, Quincy to Susanville)
Day 2: 105 miles (Susanville to Alturas)
Day 3: 100 miles (Alturas to Tulelake to Dorris)
Day 4: 65 miles (Dorris to Yreka)
Total so far: 421 miles.

Since my meeting on June 27 has been canceled, we are going to try and finish the rest of the ride by Wednesday.
Monday, Day 5: Yreka to Weaverville
Tuesday, Day 6: Weaverville to Redding (through Hayfork, Platina, Igo and Ono)
Wednesday Day 7: Redding to Oroville (through Red Bluff, Orland, and Chico)

1 comment:

Chris said...

Paul, your da man!! I'm truly impressed with your ride.
The spandex/boots photo has been my favorite so far. I do want to know if you had the clip ons modified for your boots or your bike now has stirrups?
Gene what a great support system you are and a wealth of knowledge.
Ride safe.