Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Day 2 Journal

6:30 Up and moving slower this morning. Stayed up late last night posting to the blog.



8:45 Lassen COE say hi to Jud Jensen and Bob Owens then onward and up. We will start to announce some of the offers by our sponsors today.



Before we left the office in Susanville we had to take this picture. The best part is our friend Charlie commented that he thought that Paul would win because the jet was bolted to the ground. Thank you for all the info. Hay, kids did anyone think of that?


12:02 It as been a nice morning. Nice breeze at our backs and not to hot yet. Came through a little valley in the high dessert that reminded me of my home when I was a child. I lived in Independence, CA and it was called high dessert too.


Stopped at immigrant pass for a rest and post.



Do any of you know who made the first barbared wire and why it was made?


I know this is a dumb question but do any of you know what this machine does?



Next thing I saw of interest was this huge power line slicing its way through the valley. I took off onto a dirt road and went to look. What do you think the poles were made of, did you notice there were no trees? That's right all the poles in this area are made of steel.



Well I am waiting at the watering hole at an elevation of 5000 ft. and guess who I see coming?

Can anyone tell me how rocks get like this?


1:50 Stopped at a little town, Ravendale, of 25 or so and rested. It is a hard go today. Paul is pacing himself better and taking more stops. He had a huge day yesterday and is trying to space it out today.
We are about half way and I hope that there is no more up-hills for Paul's sake. I wanted to take a picture of the school house but when walking up School House Rd. I asked a young girl, I met on the road, where the school was and she told me that it "burnt" down 10 years ago and no body wanted to rebulid it. She told me that she now goes to school in Madeline.

Anyone want to guess what this building is?


This small place, Termo, in the middle of highway 395 reminds me of a thousand other little towns like this in our 9 county region also known as CTAP Region 2.

Well I have given Paul a 25 min. head start so off I go again. Would up-load some more to the blog but no signal on the cell. I hope we will get back to signal soon


2:50 Had to put Paul in the car at Madeline, road work. I learned my lesson yesterday when I felt I didn't do my job. Not that I know what my job is.... although it's not easy being green.. Let him out after construction and then he continued on to Likely.

3:30 Likely is a very nice small town of 125. The South Fork School looks like it is a brand new school. The lawns and fields are green, green.

The store in Likley is very cute, looks like it's out of a Norman Rockwell painting. Can anyone find a Norman Rockwell painting on the web? The only restruant in town has the name "Most Likely Place to Eat"

4:18 Paul a little over 15 miles out of Alturas



5:45 We have arrived!!!! Now is time for R&R. Last night we ordered pizza to our room so we ate and worked on the blog until late and then hit the sack. So tonight.......... the same.

We are staying in the Best Western and when driving in I saw this gentlemen and asked if we could take a picture with him and his bike. Charlie, what bike do you think would win a race?

Paul was inspired by his new friend- he even got tatooed?


Tomorrow Day 3 we will go to the Modoc COE meet with Gary Jones County Supt.

4 comments:

Charlie B. said...

Trick question? Is there gas in the motorcycle?

Glenn Hervieux said...

Nice photolog of the days journey. Thanks!

Gene@4fast.net said...

Mr. A, do you think we are stuppied, stuppied, stuppied the jet has no fuel tanks.
Eric

Gene@4fast.net said...

Mr.A
Rockwell painted for publication. He once said, "I don't want to paint for the few who can see a canvas in a museum, for I believe that in a democracy art belongs to the people.
Ann
this is worth 10 bonus points for me if you email Mrs. Craddock!