Monday, June 25, 2007

Paul's Day 5 Summary

Didn't sleep well last night- nervous about today's ride to Weaverville.
Had a nice morning start- Gene's wife Adele has been very accommodating to me letting us stay the last couple of nights. Gene's grandkids have also been staying and his son has been in and out too. A full house needless to say. It has been fun playing with Byron the Brilliant (he is 6), Ben the Boisterous (2 yrs), and Princess Cora (4 months). Before we left this morning, Byron gave me a "Power Fist" for good luck; Ben gave me a hug- then pooped his diaper- I guess he knew more about today's ride than I did; and Cora spit up on me while I was holding her- another gift of wisdom. This entertained Byron very much.
Had a great send off at the Siskiyou COE- Mike DeRoss, Kathy Graves, Ann Hincliff, Bob Caddell, Heidi Jankowski, Mae Vaugh Chilson, Cheryl Hayden and Jason Singleton were all there.
Jason rode with me for the first part of the day before returning to Yreka.
after spinning through town, Jason and I began to climb towards Fort Jones Summit. Jason rides for Deslavo Cycling Team and showed his talents as he effortlessly climbed while I struggled from the start.
Fortunately my size works for me while going downhill. Gravity sucks.
We rode together discussing how we might collaborate on some Outdoor Education and Technology projects, and some interesting personal/philosophical ideas as we spun through Scott Valley. It was nice to ride with someone after 4 days going solo.
After a break at Callahan, we attacked Scott Mountain- starting at 2100 feet, we climbed up to 5400 feet in just 6.5 miles. Average incline was six degrees. Actually Jason turned back about halfway up because he had to return to Yreka, while I continued to the summit. I joked as we parted that the Turtle had caught the Hare.
I reached the summit at 1:15. Gene and I enjoyed some Sweet Leaf Tea- It's Tea-rrific!
Then before starting down the backside into Trinity County, we setup HandleBar Cam.
I was enjoying the steep downhill and the challenging turns while capturing some great footage. Then about 2/3 of the way down- in the middle of a steep set of switch backs, my rear tire blew and I fishtailed across the midline, then fishtailed the opposite way as I skidded on my rim and steered off to the side of the rode. What a rush! Luck was with me. I imagine it could have ended differently.
Changed the tire and tube an continued down the hill.
It was quite a bit hotter on the Trinity side as I rode towards Trinity Lake. The rest of the ride was more challenging than anticipated. Multiple short steep climbs and downhills along with several longer steep climbs began to work on my psyche as I pushed towards Weaverville.
We finally arrived at 6:54. Tired and sore, we had accomplished our goal. Day 5 was complete; Yreka to Weaverville- 103 miles. All for a good cause.
Tomorrow we ride form Trinity COE in Weaverville south through Hayfork, west through Platina, then north through Igo and Ono into Redding.
Daily Tally- CTAP Region 2 Ride for Resources
Day 1: 151
Day 2: 105
Day 3: 100
Day 4: 65
Day 5: 103
Total to date: 524
Six Counties (Butte, Plumas, Lassen, Modoc, Siskiyou, Trinity)
Five County Offices of Education (Butte, Plumas, Lassen, Modoc, Siskiyou)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Paul...thank God you were not hurt. Since you've begun this trek, you've made me realize how unprepared I am when I bike the scant 9 miles to Honesdale where I teach. A flat anytime, let alone going downhill, is annoying, but you could have been seriously hurt. ( I know. I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. I'm just writing spontaneously.) Believe it or not, I don't even know how to change fix a tire, nor do I carry a spare or kit. Since you've begun, I have purchased one of those bright (lime green/ yellow? ) bright vests for my biking. I always wore orange before or yellow. This is brighter. I look like a golf ball from the 70's, but it works! Continued good luck! Will and Kay