Sunday, June 24, 2007

Day 4


My best friend and my Cora who just turned 4 months old today. He picks her up and she just stops crying. How come?

6-24 Day 4 Doris to Yreka

8:45
Well, we went to S.F. to see the Giants play. Bond’s hit 479, but the Giants lost to N.Y. We drove back the next morning to Yreka and spent the night at my house again. Adele, my wife, had dinner ready for us. Chicken enchiladas, refried beans and salad. We talked for a bit and then headed off to bed around 9:30. Before going Paul got to hold Cora who turned 4 months old today.
The next morning we got up at 6:00 a.m. I made breakfast and we took off. I had loaded the car the night before with all the drinks (Sweet Leaf Tea- It's Delicious), ice, chairs, food etc.

8:30
Doris and Butte Valley High School


Just stopped at 4.5 miles out to take the video camera from Paul. He is trying to record from his bike. I hope it works.
Paul heading through the California Check Station. Welcome to California!



9:00 a.m.
Just passed through the small town of Mcdoel 425 pop. , elev. 4100 ft. Stopped to take a picture of the Butte Valley Middle School and then headed west to start our climb over Mount Hebron which summits at 5100 ft.



Made it to the base of Hebron. Waiting for Paul. He is doing well after a day off. I am not sure if a day off helped his legs or not, but he seems to be doing well.


10:00 a.m.
Made it to the top of the first of two summits, one being Mount Hebron at 5200 ft. and Grasslake at 5100 ft.


11:04
Pulled into the Grasslake rest area
From Lake to Wetlands.
During the 1900 a popular 32 room resort hotel was located on the shore of Grasslake. The hotel failed after a dynamite blast created a hole in the lake allowing most of the water to drain through the porous volcanic rock below what proved to be disastrous for the resort was a fortunate occurrence for the much of Grasslakes’s wildlife.

11:20
Stopped at the Living Memorial Sculpture Garden which is on the south west base of Mt. Shasta. It sits on the land provided by the U.S. Forest service. The garden honors honorably discharged veterans of all conflicts and peacetime. The LMSG was founded by a group of veterans circa 1988.





I was glad that Paul wanted to stop. I really wanted him to experience it. I come often. I will never understand the inhumanity in man that we as mortals can do such things to one another.
Glad we're off HWY 97. The trucks are way BAD!




12:15
Stopped along side the road to see if Paul could kill himself at Pluto Caves. These caves were formed by an eruption of basaltic lava which originated from a vent about 8 miles to the northeast. This lava flow is about 190,000 years old, and reaches as far as Grenada.



I couldn't help taking this picture. I am a sucker for flowers. These flowers only grow around the lava tubes. Can anyone tell me what they are?

Pulled into Big Springs School. Waited for Paul, he road on by so I just took a picture and drove on. He is doing well today.

Some of the ranches in the Shasta Valley


2:30
Paul made the Grenada Elem. School. Took his picture in front then sat for a bit and had a drink. It was starting to warm up and the wind is stating to blow. As we were sitting there minding our own business this car full of ladies came by and stops at our car. “Are you selling anything out of the back of that car?” came the words. Paul and I just looked at each other and said NO!

1 comment:

Tami said...

Gene, I believe those are lava tube violets :-)