Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Day 6 Weaverville to Redding







9:14

We got to the Trinity COE around 8:30 and then headed for a Starbucks, then Hayfork along HWY 3 for the first leg of our trip. Well, we aren’t going into Hayfork we are taking the alternate route that has a much higher climb and longer but safer.


10:16
Paul climbing again up the first mountain on the way to Hayfork.

The terrian starts to change. We start seeing more Madrones

I’m stopping more often now. This morning when I asked him how he was doing his replay was “Doing!” I ask how his back, shoulders, and neck were and the word that came back was “Doing!” This is the first morning he hasn’t joked about things.
One of many view along the way. If you look realy hard you can see Lassen in the background.


Made it to the summit.
Another watering hole like the one we saw on the Ft. Jones summit except this one it contaminated. Okay for cars not for us.

Looking back.


Lots more up and curves!


Made it to Platina.

Don’t know how much longer I can keep writing my journal, my hands hurt so bad I can hardly write. Paul did good into Platina, very hot. Some clouds came over and helped cool it down. As we reach the Platina store. We ask a man what the Platina Rd is like into Redding. He reply is ”Oh, you mean The Ditch, none of us take it anymore because it is falling into the canyon” We both looked at each other lifted our eyebrows and then proceeded.


Finally found the flower of the day. Tami, that was a great guess yesterday but NO! Keep trying. Want to try to name this one?



5:18
Gone 80 miles. Paul is spent but still going. HOT! This area is very dry and hot.
Store in Ono

School in Igo

5:25
This defines the area as I see it.

Beautiful and dry.
I think I found someone who knows how to stay cool.

6:17
Just talked to Tami and tried to get Paul to stop least stop for a break. He won’t slow down. I’m here for support. Just worried.

6:20
I can’t get him to stop for even water. I guess I just will pray and remember what my dad use to tell me, “He’s a big boy now. All you are there for is support and advice if asked."


6:30
We made it! What a day! Each day becomes harder, for Paul and for myself.

3 comments:

Tami said...

Gene, I actually KNOW what those flowers are! Sweet Peas! (Actually, the wild version that grows along othe freeway). Glad you two survived.

Kathy G. said...

I can't seem to find the first pink flower photo you published, wasn't it near Canby? Anyway, I think it might be a trillium in it's pink stage, the color they turn when they get a bit older. I'm still working on the other group of pink flowers - they aren't in any of my California Mountain Wildflower books, so I'll have to seek out other sources.

Gene@4fast.net said...

Kathy, I have one in my yard that Tudy gave me. They grow along the side of the road and in really dry places. Ask Turdy if you need a clue. I would like to know.