Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Paul's Day 2 Summary

Woke up this morning and was paralyzed from my eyebrows down.
Gene was tired- apparently I snore. He set me on my bike and pushed me out of the driveway around 8:30.
We arrived at Lassen COE around 8:45- met with Jud Jensen and explained what benefits Lassen COE and Lassen County schools would get through the CTAP Region 2 Ride for Resources. Jud was appreciative of the news and also shared how CTAP had been so responsive to him and Lassen County schools.
Hit the road for real around 9:00.
The "wind spirits" were with me- a nice breeze was blowing from the southwest and helping me along Highway 395. 395 is relatively flat out of Susanville I cruised at about 4000 feet for sometime. Then through some "rolling hills", but remained around 4000-4200 ft.
Sun was warm so I was taking more breaks- about one an hour to refill water bottle, and drink a variety of fluids- Sweet Leaf Tea (delicious), sport drinks for electrolytes, and water- lots of water.
After a couple of hours my legs were looser, but neck and back were still tight.
Also- I soon realized the high desert is at several levels. I started climbing again- gradually at first, then a little steeper, and steeper. Soon I was over 5000 feet again and still climbing. No shade and the wind seemed to shift to more of a crosswind from the west. The difference between climbing in the desert and climbing in the mountains is that the road doesn't turn very much and there is no shade.
At times the scenery didn't change much either- look to the left- lots of sagebrush- look to the right lots of sagebrush. Look straight ahead- follow the white line on the black road service.
After peaking around 5900 feet or so, and a series of "up and downs", the road plateaued around 5400 feet.
Took a lunch break at Ravendale- about half way (just over 50 miles from Susanville). No services available, no store, or restrooms. Just a funky little motel (primarily for hunters) that didn't appreciate that I sprawled out on their picnic bench for a few minutes- even though nobody was around.
Gene strolled through the few buildings across the highway but couldn't find any school. He did hear an interesting story.
Rode on through Termo- town is apparently now abandoned- buildings locked and boarded.
Still couldn't get a good rhythm on the bike- but kept moving towards Madeline and the Modoc County line.
The "demons" hit me just outside of Madeline. I'll spare you the details.
Coincidentally we discovered that there was road work just north of Madeline and no way would they allow me to ride through the construction area. Gene also wasn't about to let me try. So- I rode with Gene for about 5 miles and drank lots of replacement fluids. My physical condition improved dramatically.
Gene let me out at the first pullout beyond the construction and I rode down the grade across the Modoc County line and into the town of Likely.
I felt better than I had all day and was excited to be 19 miles from Alturas.
Though the wind was still a factor it didn't seem to bother me as much- aches and pains seemed to have vanished.
I crossed the train overpass and entered Alturas at 5:45- 105 miles from where we started this morning. A rough day- but good- all for a good cause.
Trip Mileage summary:
Day 1: 151 miles
Day 2: 105
Four Counties: Butte Plumas, Lassen, Modoc
Tomorrow- Alturas to Tulelake

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Paul... I'm so proud of all you've accomplished. Wow!! What determination. I really enjoy your end of day summaries.Keep up the good work!! Hope to see you soon!!